free counters

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A word on piracy

Photo courtesy of weheartit.com

In the recent light of TokyoPop's (U.S. branch) bankrupcy and shut down, I would like to talk a little bit about pirated manga.
We've all been guilty of it. -sigh- Even me.

You know those manga reading sites like MangaFox and all the other indepentant ones? Yes, those are illegal.
I myself have only read a couple chapters of manga that I have wanted to buy. That's the only reason I use those sites. But I've known several people actually read whole mangas online. Neither reason justifies illegal manga reading.

Because everytime someone reads a manga online, the companies that produce that manga lose money. Therefore, going into bankrupcy, just like TokyoPop.

I loved TokyoPop. They gave me several good mangas like Fruits Basket, Alice in the Country of Hearts, Maid Sama, Hetalia, Pixie Pop and many others. But now that they are out of buisness, I can never finish my collection of these series. Much less read them.

So if you are reading manga online, please think of the damage you are doing to the manga publishers...and yes, even the artists that put their heart and soul into making it. If you want to read a manga in its entirety, check it out from the library or borrow it from a friend. Maybe even buy it yourself. You can always find used manga on Amazon or at Half Price Book stores.

I hope you have seen my point.

Draw Forever,
Artsy Foxy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wasn't it only the U.S. branch of Tokyo Pop that went bankrupt? So you can still order them offline. And onemanga is no longer an online reading site, it's actually advertising the manga now, it doesn't post manga anymore.

Heathy-chan said...

Yes, thank you for pointing those out. I will correct them in the post.

I would also appreciate it if you left your username at the bottom of the comment if you are anonymous.